Monday, September 5, 2011

In which the stupid, sleep-deprived, excuse-making, self-deprecating American accidentally goes to France.

I knew this was going to happen. I knew this was going to happen as it was happening. Me being me, however, I did nothing to stop it. I'm a go with the flow kind of person, and the flow was going to France. So I went  to France.
You know how sometimes people say that they've been to France, or the Netherlands, or some other European country but what they really mean is that they've been to a European airport? This is not what I mean by "I went to France." I mean I left the airport and was in France. Because I'm a stupid American and I accidentally went through customs. As Margaret said, "Well, we all know how you are about getting to the right place." The customs line looked surprisingly short and simple, so I thought it must not be a customs line, just another line where someone had to check my passport. It's where everyone else was going, and there seemed to be no other obvious place to go, so I got in line, got my passport stamped, and then I was in Baggage Claim. To be fair, the sign also said "Connecting Flights." I still don't know what that was about. So I had to go through security again, which fortunately had a very short line, but it was VERY DIFFICULT to find. Turns out French people don't much like it when Americans ask for directions, either.
I will be in Amman in a few hours, but I thought that this was a silly, amusing story (especially for those of you who actually know me and know that this was not an unusual adventure for me) that I could share while waiting at the airport for six hours.
Also, I hate this airport. Not just because it took forever to find the security line (I had to cross the street outside the airport--twice--in order to find it). I hate this airport because there's very little food here. If you are looking for perfume, designer bags, or wine, you're golden. In fact, I'm pretty sure that every brand of perfume ever made is sold here; the whole airport reeks of perfume. If you want food (other than Coke and some tiny pastries) though, you're shit out of luck.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I wish I could accidentally go to France! What a good start to an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha typical meg....never paying attention....i agree with sam though

    ReplyDelete