Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Night 108: Things I Will Miss and Things I Distinctly Won't

When I left the U.S. for Jordan three and a half months ago, I wasn't entirely convinced that this day would ever come. I was scared and nervous and excited and I just couldn't envision what coming home after being away for 108 nights would be like. It still feels weird. I still feel like tomorrow I'll wake up in my bed on Jadaat Shashaa Street and grab some bread for breakfast, head to the University to get my morning Nescafe from my Nescafe guy and maybe a candy bar, go over to Arabic and whine at Sarah about how hard it is, spend my afternoon in TAGKS and go home and watch a movie with Lara and Janet. But no. This time tomorrow I will be on a plane only a few hours away from Chicago and Sam which is SO MUCH better, but SO VERY WEIRD. So, here's what will likely be my very last post on this blog, about what I will miss about Jordan and what I very distinctly won't. And maybe some of what I've learned and all that sappy stuff along the way.

First off, stuff I won't miss because I've found that it's better to start off negative and end on a positive note rather than the other way around:

1. Catcalling boys/نسونجي. Asshole man boys. I've blogged enough about them, so I'll hallas (stop) with that.
2. Traffic. Loud honking noises for no reason.
3. Dirtiness/smog/dust/cigarette smoke. Smoke in general. I am so excited to go to a country where you can't smoke inside.
4. The immaturity. People here aren't treated as adults until they're married. And it's not like Jordanians are super conservative, traditional Muslims who get married at sixteen or seventeen. Twenty is considered too young to get married--you're kinda old if you're getting married at 30, but anywhere between 25 and 30 is pretty normal here, so not too different from the States. That means that 20 year olds are living with their parents, getting allowances from their parents, living by the rules of their parents, etc. They don't even get jobs until they've graduated from University--not even little part-time cashier jobs. This means that anyone not married is treated as though they're sixteen. Including the foreigners. Maybe especially the foreigners. Which is weird and frustrating for someone used to a lot more independence. Sure, over the summers I live with my parents, but if I want to stay out until 3AM I can. I don't, but I could if I wanted to. If I want to eat, I can eat what I want when I want. I miss that SO MUCH, guys. I want to go home where I can take a shower without asking for permission first.
5. Arabic. I miss English, Arabic is hard.

Okay, things I will miss:

1. Arabic. Yeah, yeah, I know I said I wouldn't but I changed my mind. Sort of. I won't miss the intensity of Arabic here--having to use it every day, the 12 hour a week Arabic classes, etc. But I will miss using it with my friend in a casual way, using a word I forgot I knew with a cab driver, and entertaining myself on long car/bus rides by trying to read the signs out the window.
2. People. I wrote a little bit about this in my last post, but I'll miss my American friends so much. It's weird that I won't see them every day ever again. I may never see any of them again. It scares me and makes me sad. Although, if the Republicans win the next election, Hannah and I are moving to Istanbul, so that works.
3. Speaking of Istanbul, I will miss the proximity to Istanbul. And other countries that are nearby. If Syria were in a better state I would like to have liked to have visited Syria.
4. Nescafe. I thought I hated it but I don't. I'll also miss my Nescafe guy; the guy that knows I want my Nescafe in the morning and I don't even have to ask.
5. Wassam the Falafel Man. Nicest man in all of Jordan.
6. Falafel.
7. All of the beautiful places. I don't know what I am going to do with my weekends at home if not traveling to amazing deserts and mountains and caves and towns and villages. I love Jordan so much, even if I really don't like a lot of Amman. Jordan though is spectacular and I could easily spend months here just traveling and seeing gorgeous places like Dana, Wadi Rum, Petra, Ajloun, Aqaba, more stuff that I haven't even seen.

This is my last blog post and I don't know how to end it 'cause I'm bad at that. I'm SO excited to go home, and I leave in a few hours, so ma'saalama (goodbye)! I'll see (most of you) when I get home!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment